Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oh MediaMonkey (or Dusty), Why?

This weekend was chocked full of friends returning home from their respected schools. Best part is, is that all had gotten to stay for the weekend, so good deal there. Well, except for Dusty, who could only stay til 4 on Saturday, and needed to get back to where ever Whitewater is. Anyway, on Saturday after brunch, Cody needed a documentary for his film class. So, Cody, Cathi, Dusty, and I went to the library (the others didn't really want to or were busy). Of course, I had an ulterior motive for being there. Of course, it was expanding my musical horizons or getting music in FLAC. Cody searched for one of the documentaries off of his list. He had found Food, Inc. and ripped onto his laptop. While he was doing that; I had gone off in search of CDs. Coming back with a nice stack of them. Now, Dusty was all worried that I wasn't going to finish in time. Since he had to leave by 4 in the afternoon and time was of the essence. I had used the MediaMonkey instead of MusicBee (MediaMonkey rips CDs faster than MusicBee).


So Dusty, being the nice person that he is (or really just wanted to leave the library and get back to Whitewater. Who knows?), had volunteered to rip them all. Showing him (I assumed he was listening) that one simply hits the "Rip selected Audio CD to hard ware" button and then hit the "OK" button. Simple enough or so I thought. So, I could get my exercise in-addition too returning the CDs to their appropriate homes. Now everyone knows that Dusty isn't the greatest with technology. I had know this, and yet I thought nothing of it, because of the simplicity of the matter.


Now it's not entirely Dusty's fault; he did rip the CDs. However only to a certain point. That 'certain point' being only the first track of every album. Hmm I have yet to figure out how he did that... (though I have multiple theories). I suppose MediaMonkey could have shared some fault as the user. MediaMonkey compare to the more popular iTunes; is that it isn't as straight forward as it could be. As iTunes goes, one would just pop in the disc and imports them as so. And MediaMonkey, one must go through steps to achieve the same goal. So, I suppose the technology, the music programs, could be at some fault here. Or I could go as far to make the argument that iTunes has spoiled the user by making everything seem easier than it really is. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Well probably not; however making it simple isn't always the best.


Finding (and then losing) 20 or so treasures such as: The White Stripes, Brian Wilson, Wilco, Tom Waits, The Beau Brummels, Bob Dylan, The Band, Ry Cooder, The Black Crowes, The Raconteurs, Jakob Dylan, Arcade Fire and The Decemberists, oh well. I guess it wasn't entirely a lose (though it was); got two of Dylan's electric albums (that were complete): Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home in FLAC. Oh well, looks like I get to go back to the library.



Eventually we had watched Food, Inc. and we actually did learn from it. Believe it or not, but I had noticed that the director did used some rhetorical choices to get the point across about the food industry. And eventually Cathi had arrived and it was time to watch the 1970 version of The Wizard of Gore (since Halloween is coming up and Cathi just loves blood and gore, tehe)At the end Cody, Phil, and I had a good laugh. I don' think Cathi enjoyed as much, oh well. Isn't that just a shame?

1 comment:

  1. Great list of music there. The Beau Brummels in particular is a group that you don't hear much about, but they had some great jangly folk rock. I love "Laugh Laugh."

    ReplyDelete