Sunday, October 2, 2011

Album Reviews - September


During this past month, I had the opportunity to listen almost 30 albums (Thanks to Spotify, my own vinyl collection, and other unnamed sources). And yet for some reason I feel that this is lacking in someway, oh well. The album reviews are as follow (note, not all of them listed): 

Winners
Cripple Crow (2005) - Devendra Banhart - This double album has the sound of early Tyrannosaurus Rex mixed with the Incredible String Band. In doing so it gives it that 60s psych-folk sound, which is a refreshment of other mainstream genres of the time. One thing, that I didn't see coming was that he sang a couple of songs in Spanish (that was different). On another note Devendra Banhart does have the sound of Marc Bolan in his voice, that's just crazy. Favorite tracks "Lazy Butterfly," "The Beatles," and "Chinese Children."
Mellow Gold (1994) – Beck - I can't believe I haven't listen to this before. Beck crossing and re-inventing genres, simply amazing. This certainly was a treat. Having witty surrealistic lyrics doesn't hurt either. Favorite Tracks "Loser," "Soul Suckin' Jerk," "Sweet Sunshine," "Beercan," and "Nitemare Hippy Girl."
Out to Hunch (1986) - Hasil Adkins – If country was more like this. I would feel a lot safer at night. Favorite tracks "No More Hot Hogs," "Chicken Walk," "Can't Help It Blues," "Hot Dog Baby," "Teenie Weenie Waddy Kiss," and "Truly Ruly."


Losers
Born to Run (1975) - Bruce Springsteen - This was nothing more than a piss stain. And that's me being nice. Here's a tip for the saxophonist, who really needs to learn more than just six notes (only repeating them over and over, and being quite loud about it, just isn't to cool). I mean really listen to some Coltrane or Parker, and learn something. Only good thing about this was Jim Steinman made a much better album for Meat Loaf to sing. Favorite track “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out” (only bearable track).
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010) - Kanye West - Liking the use of King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man." This album actually tricked me, having me to believe it was legit . For the first six tracks, it would have been great. But after those tracks, the album loses its' mojo. Making it confusing and tasteless. Favorite tracks "Dark Fantasy," "Power," and "All of the Lights."
Blowin' Your Mind! (1967) - Van Morrison - Sure the album has "Brown Eyed Girl," but beyond that it's really not that great. I never actually thought I would have ever said that about a Van Morrison album, but I guess it happens. Well, I will put it like this, for a Van Morrison album there is very little to no creative input, unlike his is future albums. Favorite tracks "Brown Eyed Girl," "He Ain't Give You None," and "T.B. Sheets." (On a side note, everything after this album up to Veedon Fleece is genius).
It's Not Killing Me (1969) - Michael Bloomfield – Sure being Mike Bloomfield, you do have something going for you, being a kick ass guitarist. But singing isn't one of them. Much of the problem is Bloomfield's singing, it's all over the place. Due to this, this his guitar playing suffers. In a strange way this could be seen as a domino effect for the blues guitarist, never really achieving the same fame as he previously had. Favorite tracks 'It's Not Killing Me,” and “Next Time You See Me.” 


Others
Common Faults (2008) - The Silent ComedyThis albums has potential of actually being something as well as the band. Being that The Silent Comedy is a relativity "new" band. They have the sound of Mumford and Sons mixed with a dash of Wolfmother. The band switches genres between hard rocking electric blues to folk rock throughout most of the album, and sometimes combines the two. Not saying that's a bad thing, but the listener can at times feel lost. Favorite tracks “'49,” “Poison,” “The Well,” “Bartholomew,” “Tightrope,” “Moonshine,” and “Gasoline.”
Opus Lengthemus (1989) – PoopshovelThis little treasure hails from Madison, Wisconsin. That within itself is pretty neat. Being that this is their debut album and not knowing who they are or what they sounded like was something. For some reason I had this false idea that they would have the sound of the Dead Kennedys, however that wasn't the case. They were punk (in someway) and metal. Oh, they also include jazz (they have a trumpet player in the band, that was something). Favorite tracks “African Bees,” “Sausage,” and “Ouija Board.”
So Jealous (2004) - Tegan and SaraThe album started out slow, but when it hit the third or fourth track the album really took off. This Canadian folk duo real caught my attention, because at quick glance album cover looks like Steely Dan's Aja. So I just had to listen to it. They certainly are bringing back the New Wave genre, that's apparent throughout the album. Favorite tracks “I Know I Know I Know,” “Where Does the Good Go,” “Downtown,” and “I Won't Be Left,” and “Walking with a Ghost”
High Society (2007) - The Silver SeasThe Silver Seas are the American answer the Mumford and Sons, mixed with some blue-eyed white soul. Enough said. Favorite tracks “The Country Life,” “Ms. November,” and “Catch Your Own Train.”
Riot on an Empty Street (2004) - Kings of Convenience - This could be the Norwegian Indie-Folk duo's best album, well at least so far. Having a Simon & Garfunkel-esque to their music, so nothing can go wrong with that. The album overall has a nice vibe to it. Favorite tracks "Homesick," "Misread," "Know How," "Sorry or Please," "I'd Rather Dance With You," and "Gold in the Air of Summer."
The Cat and the Cobra (1999) - Les Savy Fav - This album wasn't really burned into my memory. So I'm guessing that it was pretty average then, if I don't remember it. Oops. I think the album was either suppose to be alternative or indie, or a possible combination of them both. Or it was just noise.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch on the Clarence Clemons diss (Springsteen's legendary sax player, who happened to die just this year after suffering a stroke).

    I had the same thought on Kanye. I don't listen to much hip hop, but after having it show up on all the critical top 10 lists last year I gave it a listen. I had the same reaction: started out impressed and then became significantly less so.

    Since I'm a huge Dylan fan, I know Bloomfield from his playing on Hwy. 61 Revisited. I have one of his solo albums and didn't think he was a bad singer...

    ReplyDelete