Sunday, November 6, 2011

Album Reviews - October

Same deal as last month. Just this time a bit less extensive.


Tarkio Road (1970), Brewer & Shipley - Not many people can say they landed on Nixon's "enemies list," and were called a "modern spiritual" all for the same reason. Being that I'm a softy for the then next great American spiritual. Isn't that right Lawrence? Spiritual about what, I wonder. Typical folk-rock album, vocal harmonies, acoustic guitars, and then there's this... trying to throw President Tricky Dick out of office, mixed with the romanticism of Mary Jane. Also they throw in a couple of wah-wahs here and there. Going a step further, "Tarkio Road" could quite possibly be a soundtrack to any "Cheech and Chong" film. Tracks worth the mention are: "One Toke Over The Line," "Don't Want to Die in Georgia," "Tarkio Road," "Seems Like A Long Time," and "Fifty States Of Freedom." I should also mention the track, "Oh Mommy," which includes the wicked steel guitar playing of the Grateful Dead's very own Jerry Garcia. And if you get nothing more from this than "One Toke Over the Line" stuck in your head, then I have done my job. Once again Mr. Welk, what did you think toke meant? B+


Ceremonials (2011), Florence + the Machine - In all honesty, I was skeptical about their sophomore release, just after listening to the first few minutes. I had noticed a different sound. Indeed, a difference in their style. Looks like Florence has been dabbling in some chamber music here. Also sounds like there is some Adele influence here, but that's just me. Of course like Adele, Florence can actually belt out a tune or more. Tracks worth the mention: "What the Water Gave Me," "Never Let Me Go," "Breaking Down," "Lover To Lover," and "Spectrum." Even though I still yearned for the sounds Lungs again. A-


The Black Album (2003), Jay-Z - Move over Metallica, I found another Black Album. Next I'll come out and say it. I'm not a connoisseur of the hip-hop genre. There I said it (I feel much better getting that off my chest). Surprisingly this was palatable and sure the lyrics aren't up to par with Ginsburg or any another Beatnik poem, but still there is something going on here... I just don't know what it is. Songs worth the mention: "What More Can I Say," "99 Problems," "Public Service Announcement," "Lucifer," "Allure," and "My 1st Song." Suppose the next step is Danger Mouse's The Grey AlbumA-


Oracular Spectacular (2007), MGMT - A modern day, "electronic" verison of early Tyrannosaurus Rex. I'm not that far off by comparing them to T. Rex. The singer also has a Marc Bolan-esque to his voice. I love it. This duo certainly does paint a picture of modern day psychedelia (as well as their music videos, but that's a different subject). A genre that I never thought would have a revival, but here it is. Songs worth the mention "Time To Pretend," "Weekend Wars," "Electric Feel," "Pieces of What," "Of Moons, Birds & Monsters," and "The Handshake." A-


Teenage Dream (2010), Katy Perry - This is a pop album. I don't know if that's a call for alarm, but who knows? Sure the album contains several singles about sex. Alright sex; with that being said and still having high hopes for this. I assumed that the whole album had the same feel. However that wasn't the case and they just weren't exactly met. Beyond the main singles, the other songs were either ranging from average to sad. And then there was the song "Peacock," nice attempt at humor, Katy Perry. Song worth mentioning: "Teenage Dream," "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)," and "Firework." Question, does Russell Brand has an influence on her music? I'm not really sure if he does. C


Lulu (2011), Lou Reed & Metallica - Not knowing what to think about this from the 90 second preview of "The View." For the most part, I really was just hoping it going be like Berlin meets Metal Machine Music (or instead, insert popular Metallica album there. Wait; scratch that. Actually I like Metal Machine Music there). I suppose in retrospect the album does follow through with being like Metal Machine Music (whether that it's not the way I was hoping). And by far the most unique album Metallica has ever worked on. The music is definitively Metallica's and the lyrics are definitively Lou Reed's. The fact of the matter is the lyrics are too much for Metallica fans and the music is probably too much for Lou Reed fans. Songs that I found to be decent  were "Ice Honey" and "Junior Dad." And maybe generations from now, someone will find it on a shelf, collecting dust, and find it to be legit. Who knows? B-

No comments:

Post a Comment